Faith has had this awful sounding cough for about a week now. She has been great otherwise. No fever, no vomiting, acting completely normal, eating and drinking well, sleeping good....nothing besides this ugly cough. It started out a very wet, productive cough but on Saturday began sounding a little 'croup' like. Lance and I had decided we would take her to our pediatrician on Tuesday when they opened after the holiday (we thought they would be closed Monday).
Sunday afternoon we noticed she really began sounding barky and her cough became deep and we knew that if she didn't get steroids she'd develop pneumonia, so I took her to the urgent care clinic after church. They did chest x-ray and they could see a cloudy area around the outside of her lungs that looked like beginning of bronchitis and pneumonia but no infection yet. (exactly what we thought).
We talked about it and decided to start her on steroids prophylactic to help her get through this without an admission. This is the same one she usually gets for pneumonia or prophylactic measures but for whatever reason she kept vomiting it up :(
Sunday night was AWFUL!!! She became very pale, her sats dropped to 90 and she was on 2 liters of oxygen which only brought her sats to 95. We were literally deciding for 2 hours whether or not to bring her to childrens for admission. Because she was fine other than this cough and now respiratory distress and we had the steroids to help her at home we decided to keep her home and call our peds office in the am.
Only Faith screamed ALL NIGHT LONG. Thankfully Lance had Monday off for the holiday or I would have cried myself into a mess. We could not console her for anything. She wasn't hurt, she was MAD about the nasal canula on her face (we put in on while she was sleeping and dropping her sats so we didn't explain it to her first). She screamed, cried and was a mess all night. We kept putting her CI on so we could talk to her but it didn't help much. She was SO exhausted from all the crying, and a late night out, there was NO reasoning with her....
Monday, we ended up calling our peds office and they were open so we brought her in. And she agreed, Faith looks good. She is moving airway good, she is breathing good, her sats were still down to 94 but for Faith thats not awful. Its not good....but not awful. She gave a second script for prednisone to back up the first that Faith kept vomiting.
Because predinose is VERY potent, I have to give her about 2cc at a time diluted in applesauce, but today is the first day she was able to keep meds down!! It's time consuming but worth it to keep it down....prednisone works so well for her.
Thankfully she is still very happy and acting totally normal!! I am LOVING having extra snuggle (happy) times with her :) We sent this morning together with my sweet Emalynn and Faith was THRILLED to pieces to craft ALL morning long. We made butterfly's, colored them, then cut them out and glued them back together...her love language ;)